Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hollywood Re-visited

I use a program called Choicemail to prevent spam. It's an effective method: what happens is that I have a whitelist of email addresses and URLs from which I will accept email. If someone not on the whitelist sends me an email, the program sends them a registration form to complete. If it is a real person and they choose to complete the form, it is sent to me and I can decide to add them to my whitelist or reject their registration. I have the option of including an explanation for my decision.

Choicemail works very well and I have used it for a couple of years now.

Long time followers of this blog (and there are a few of you) may recall that back in March 2008 I posted this entry - Hollywood - A Cautionary Tale about my consultation with an intellectual-property lawyer in Los Angeles after a game show idea that I posted on tvwritersvault was developed without any consultation (or compensation) to me. The lawyer advised me to forget about it and I decided to take his advice.

Perhaps not surprisingly, tvwritersvault is not on my Choicemail whitelist - after my experience I certainly don't intend to use them again.

This past Wednesday evening I received a Choicemail registration request from Scott Manville - the guy who owns/runs tvwritersvault - wanting access to my email, presumably so that he could convince me to recommence using their services. This set off a short corresdondence that I am posting below. All I have done is re-arrange the emails into proper chronological order and removed any URL addresses (to limit further spam); I have not edited any of the messages.
___________________________
___________________________

From: Bill Clarke
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: webmaster@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:40:32

Your request to communicate with the recipient has been rejected.

Reason:

Thanks but after one of my ideas (put on your site) was developed by
Hollywood without so much as a "by your leave" I figured you really
weren't the best place to share. I actually consulted a lawyer but
he said you didn't have a pot to piss in so...

Future emails to this recipient will be automatically deleted.

If you wish to contact this person, please contact him/her by other
means.
___________________________
From: Scott Manville
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To:billclarke@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:42:34

Bill-
Your claim is unfounded.
For your information, my Pot runeth over ;)
Ten years in the industry witha groundbreaking company will fill the
coffers just fine.

Best,
Scott
___________________________
From: Bill Clarke
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: smanville@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:54:14

Runeth, huh?

Freudian slip, mayhaps?
___________________________
From: Scott Manville
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: billclarke@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 March 2011 9:23 PM

Yes, Runeth over, as in abundance, prosperity.... aka fucking rich.
____________________________
From: Bill Clarke

Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: smanville@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 March 2011 9:36 PM

Terrific Scott.

Invest $10 of your wealth in a dictionary.
___________________________
From: Scott Manville
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: Bill Clarke
Date: Wed, 16 March 2011 9:49 PM

Used with two N's or one. I chose one, as some publishers have. By
the way, you must be over 60 because nobody has to buy a dictionary
any more. Its free on that thing you're typing with one finger.

Tell your attorney he should stick to traffic ticket disputes :)
___________________________
From: Bill Clarke
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: smanville@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:15 PM

Nah, it's two Ns. You know it is.

And speaking of one finger...
___________________________
From: Scott Manville
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: Bill Clarke
Date: Wed, 16 March 2011 10:40 PM


Good luck in your small world.

One "N" is used often. You're just not exposed to literature or
publishing as I am.

OH, by the way.... you had three executives requesting to contact you
for your project, but your spam filter knocked out the requests.

Ooops.
___________________________
From: Bill Clarke
Subject: Not authorized to send email to billclarke@*******.com
To: smanville@*******.com
Date: Wed, 16 March 2011 10:48 PM

Oh, that must be it – thanks for clearing that up.

Well, as fascinating as this has all been, at my advanced age it
really is tiring to do all this one-finger typing so I’ll wish you
a pleasant good night. The nurse will be bringing my warm milk any
minute now and then it’s lights out at the Senior’s Home so, thanks
for the chat.
___________________________
___________________________

Juvenile? Not to be believed. Now, I readily admit to being just as juvenile as Scott Manville by goading him on like that but... Hey! I am the customer HE's the service provider, it's his professional image that's subject to scrutiny here, not mine.

Okay, now here's a short customer service quiz for you - one multiple choice question, three possible answers and I'll even provide a clue, okay?

Question:
You hear from a former customer that he has grounds to believe that he has been ripped off through the auspices of your service. Do you...

A) Assure the former customer that you will get to the bottom of it and report back to him, then obtain all pertinent details and look into the matter thoroughly to ensure that your valued customers are not being ripped off.
B) Dismiss the former customer's concerns without a second thought since you are no longer making any money off him anyway.
C) Use the opportunity to brag about how much money you're making.

(CLUE - the answer isn't B or C)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recent had an experience with Scott Manville that ended up at BBB.org and I can tell you that he is an arrogant, self-important man who doesn't care an iota about anybody from whom he is not going to make a profit. He is definitely rude and unprofessional in his business dealings. But don't you know he is too busy making lots of money from all the hopeful souls out there according to this site:
http://www.websitebroker.com/site-details-999986570.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. It is good to know how well Scott is doing for himself--especially after blowing me off for a refund having charged me for an inactive project. Class act.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I apparently didn't do my research well enough. I used his crap service as well. Even got a call from his "UK" affiliate UK TV Writers Vault‏, (noted that there was no English accent, and got suspicious) and did not pursue it. Also makes me think realitytvformatawards.com might be yet another in Manville's attempts to dupe the average uneducated person. But who know.
Thanks for your blog post, and the forum posts elsewhere too!